BRIEF HISTORY OF TRINITY PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
Following the 2nd World War many returning ex-servicemen were given an option to secure land in the Bergvliet & Meadowridge area.
1958: Growing community leads to a decision for a Presbyterian
Preaching Station to be established. Inaugural service held on 3 August 1958 in
the Civic Hut, Bergvliet.
1959: Under supervision of Revd. Douglas Crawford of Mowbray
Presbyterian Church attendance is recorded of 36 adults at services and 13
pupils in Sunday School.
Part-time services of Revd. James Summergill, a retired
minister inducted and soon becomes affectionately known as
Venue changed to the MOTH Hall and congregation begins to
expand. Monthly Newsletter launched; Women’s Association established; fund
raising begins. Three Elders Ordained, and suitable site procured in
July 1966: Church building completed – membership now 95 and
Sunday School attendance 100. Building dedicated on 6 August
November 1968: Church recognised as an Extension
February 1968: Revd Gordon Melrose
appointed as full time minister. Vision of hall complex is
March 1974: Faith and hard work result in the Summersgill Hall
being opened. Church continues to grow.
September 1974 Church achieves Full Status and Revd Melrose
continues as Minister,
April 1978: After a fruitful ministry retires and is succeeded
by Revd. David Bothma. Development continues by the building of the pre-primary
October 1996: Revd. Bothma receives a call to St Columba’s in
September 1997: Revd. David Gray is inducted as minister to the